Hey, how are we doing this fine Saturday?? I am "fantastic" thank you!! :-)
Tonight I want to share with you one of my family's ULTRA FAVORITE DINNER'S!!!
I absolutely ADORE ANGEL HAIR PASTA, and totally am in LOVE with meatballs... Couple it with the creamy, fresh summer tasting sun-dried tomato pesto...
Add cheese... HEAVEN!! *insert ringing bells* :-)
This is one of my family's favorites and "guests" favorite dishes as well!! I'm always being asked for the recipe... Better yet, they "always get a container to go"!! (yes, yes, I make tons; doesn't everyone)???
Here we go:
*You can either use your favorite meatball recipe, or you can use the one below. Better yet; make the meatballs ahead of time and this can a very easy dinner to put together*
1lb ground beef
1 small onion chopped fine
1/4 c fresh chopped parsley
1 tbls granulated garlic
3/4 tbls dried Italian seasoning
1/2 tbls Fennel seed
1 tbls extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 c bread crumbs (unseasoned)
Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Cheese Sauce:
1 stick (8 tlbs) unsalted butter
6 tbls flour
6 c milk
1 jar (6-7oz) sun-dried tomato pesto
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes drained well
1/2 c Parmesan/pecorino Romano cheese grated
Freshly ground pepper
1/4 c Parmesan/pecorino Romano cheese grated
1/2 c mozzarella cheese diced (or you can use grated packaged if preferred)
*we love the fresh taste of mozzeralla*
1 package of Angel hair pasta nests
*This is what the pasta nests look like before cooking*
1) Meatballs; mix all your ingredients for the meatballs. Using a cookie scoop or your very clean hands, make into balls and place on ungreased baking sheet.
Bake at 375F for 15-17 minutes. Remove from oven, set aside to cool.
2) Add water to a 5-6qt saucepan, season with salt, and bring to a boil. While water is heating for pasta, start on your cream sauce.
3) Creamy Sauce: In a medium pan melt your butter. Once butter has melted, add flour. Stir in and let it cook for a minute or so. Pour in your milk all at once and stir constantly till your sauce begins to thicken, about 5-7 minutes. Turn off heat. Add your your sun-dried tomato pesto.
Mix well, then add your drained diced tomatoes, add 1/2 your allotted cheese mix well.
Finally add the remainder of your cheese and pepper, stir till finally incorporated,
Taste for seasonings (should be bread dunking good ) Set aside.
4) The water for the pasta should be boiling now. Add your nests, DO NOT STIR!! LEAVE THEM BE for about 3 minutes or so. Angel hair pasta takes usually about 7-8 minutes to cook. You want them *just starting to soften* (about 3-4 minutes), because you will continue cooking these beauties in the oven!!
Once you have added your nests into the pasta, prepare your baking pan.
In a large lasagna pan, prespray with cooking spray. Set aside.
Remove your "nests" from the boiling water using a slotted spoon, (if you have a bit of water on the pasta while transferring over to baking pan, not to worry, this will actually enhance the cooking process by NOT allowing the sauce to get too thick and the pasta becoming dry).
Place in baking pan like this:
5) Add a meatball to each nest.
6) Pour the sun-dried tomato and cheese sauce over the meatballs and pasta. Sprinkle the cheeses.
How good does that look, you can see the tomatoes and the sun-dried tomatoes and of course the MEATBALLS!!
7) Place casserole dish on a baking sheet to ensure there are no spills.
Bake at 350F for approximately 20-30 minutes till mozzarella has melted nicely and the sides are bubbly. Remove from heat and let rest for a few minutes.
Serve by scooping out 2-3 nests per person. Do you want a bite? Okay... here you go!!!! :-)
Dishin with Didi